Corruption

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Bishop Juan de Dios Pueblos asked Gloria Arroyo for a car as b’day gift

Even a  Catholic bishop is corrupt, can you believe this.  I have never heard of a bishop asking for a car for his birthday, and using the poor as a reason to get a new 4 x 4 SUV.  I bet he has never taken it off road, for anyone, let alone the poor. 


Is everyone corrupt here in the Philippines?  I am finding the answer to that question as a YES! See the store below.

Bishop’s letter
Pueblos’ letter to Arroyo reads:
“I will be celebrating my 66th birthday on March 8, 2009. I know this will be a precious day and timely occasion to thank the Lord for giving me another year … After a prayerful discernment and due considerations to the existing crisis phenomenon today, I have decided not to hold a birthday party. Instead, I prefer to make use of my birthday as a day with and for myself, and with God.
“Having (been) declared, awarded and honored from your good office as ‘Peace Champion of Caraga,’ I am grateful to God that He has made me an instrument of His peace, especially here in Mindanao. I know I can do more to promote and work for peace.
“It is in this view that I am asking a favor from your Excellency. At present, I really need a brand-new car, possibly a 4 x 4, which I can use to reach the far-flung areas of Caraga. I hope you will never fail to give a brand new car which would serve as your birthday gift to me. For your information, I have with me a 7-year-old car which is not anymore in good running condition. Therefore, this needs to be replaced very soon.
Pueblos’ call for Aquino to quit
“I am anticipating your favorable response on this regard. Thank you very much. Be assured of my constant support and sincerest prayers to your Excellency.”
Last month, Pueblos called on President Aquino to resign over alleged irregularities committed by his party mates, classmates and shooting buddies.
Pueblos’ diocese was one of the six Catholic dioceses and one organization that received sport utility vehicles (SUVs) and cash donations amounting to P8.3 million from the PCSO during the Arroyo administration.
Besides the Diocese of Butuan, the recipients of the illegal donations for the purchase of 4 x 4 vehicles were the Zamboanga Archdiocesan Social Action Apostolate, Archdiocese of Cotabato, Diocese of Bangued (Abra), Prelature of Isabela (Basilan) and Apostolic Vicariate of Bontoc and Caritas Nueva Segovia, which covers Ilocos Sur, received financial assistance.
Using name of poor
Tolentino wondered whether the vehicle Pueblos had requested was for the poor. “This (letter) is a camouflage of using the name of the poor for self-interest,” she said.
The Senate blue ribbon committee is scheduled to start today (Wednesday) its inquiry into reports that the PCSO during the Arroyo administration gave several bishops SUVs and lavished certain lawmakers with endowments for their constituents’ hospital and medical expenses.
Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and Sen. Panfilo Lacson on Sunday said the Constitution barred the donation of public money for the benefit of any religious group.
Tolentino said the exposés by the new PCSO management was not meant to attack the Church.
“We are not against the Church. We are just denouncing what happened in the past—corruption of government funds, which is prohibited by the Constitution itself,” she said.
“Would the bishops rather that we keep mum or we lie about it? Would they want us to just keep quiet about this?” Tolentino asked.
She earlier confirmed that the former PCSO management, in a series of board resolutions in 2009, approved the grant of SUVs to various dioceses.

No comments:

Post a Comment